Sunday, November 20, 2016

Cabbages in the office


**This is from 25th October as spring has hurried on now and it’s got busy and I haven’t had much time to post.**


It’s been a very wet spring here this season and my peas rotted in the ground - so did my neighbours, and even my friends in town, and they’re right near coast. Cabbages have done pretty well though. I think Lisa is sick of hearing about the cabbages. She calls them ‘Findhorn’ cabbages - after the community in Scotland that reputedly grew giant vegetables, helped by the plant spirits, or devas. She likes eating cabbages more than me, though - I’m just the grower. Maybe she just dreams of giant cabbages, she is of Scottish descent after all.


My office, the BC garden, is looking a bit improved but not as good as last year at this time - although I have concentrated on a brassica crop this spring instead of as many potatoes. We’ve got potatoes in to come on after the brassicas but it’s been so wet I wasn’t able to put as much time into the garden as I would have liked. Still, it’s not looking too bad, and we’ve got food in the “hungry gap”. In fact we’re still eating the last of the apples and there’s plenty of dried chestnuts left as well as some maize and beans. We won’t starve.

Together with the Earth, our work in the garden provides for our bodies and nature provides beauty. So, here’s my office - and 'cabbages' for our souls.


No comments:

Post a Comment